Monday, March 27, 2006

DRM technology fails in practice

The afternoon sessions at the Guardian's Changing Media conference sadly had to take second place to the completion of my sections of a FIPR report for the Information Commissioner that is due later this week. But I did catch the fascinating second half of Tamar Kasriel's presentation on "The distribution of the future." She believes that brands will find it harder than ever to maintain trust with consumers, but that today's big organisations will still be in control in a decade as long as they make a minor accommodation to the Internet.

Modesty forbids that I attribute this quote from a presentation on Digital Rights Management after lunch:

Fundamentally, it's an antiuser technology. It's a technology that allows content owners to provide data to their customers with restrictions on how they can use it that aren't justified by copyright law.

1 comment:

James Cridland said...

One of the ZDNet editors posted an amusing video over the weekend, saying that DRM was 'Content Restriction Annulment and Protection', then adding the fact that "Microsoft's CRAP is different to Apple's CRAP, which is different from Sony's CRAP, which is why it's all crap." Which I like.

In other news: I'm just downloading a new Eels track from their official site: - without any form of DRM. Yeah, I know, I could find it on Bittorrent... but at 99cents, why on earth should I bother?