Sunday, July 30, 2006

Ban on political ads is least worst option

Jan CreamerLike Nick Cohen, I am bemused that an animal rights charity is trying to overturn the UK ban on political advertising in the naive view that it will not lead to the wholesale corruption of our political system. Just like the US, politicians would be bought left, right and centre as they were forced to raise millions of pounds to fight TV attack ads:

'Why can't I have my say?' [litigant Jan Creamer] wailed to me. She may do soon and the screaming voices her case could unleash may bawl out one of the better parts of our culture.

Nor am I sure that the right to buy expensive media advertising is quite equivalent to the right to freedom of expression. Nobody is stopping the publication of political articles and websites.

No comments: