Monday, September 25, 2006

Endless queues for New Labour ID card

I had the joyous opportunity this morning to talk at a Labour party conference event on copyright (more later). But first I got an inkling of what getting a compulsory ID card would be like if Labour win the next election.


Labour's head office seemed to have f&*ked up the process of issuing conference passes by post to an awful lot of people, who all seemed to be queueing ahead of me at the conference services office. I heard several comment that their colleagues had spent over three hours waiting for passes.


The problem was, I arrived at 12.15pm in what I thought was plenty of time to get to the 1pm event inside the secured zone. By which point, the queue was snaking around three sides of the building.

I had the chance to catch up with an old university friend who just happened to arrive at the same time as me. But otherwise I was starting to curse that I would have to turn around and take the train straight back to London.


Fortunately one of the event organisers was right at the front of the queue, and after a few frantic phone calls and a scribbled letter of authorisation from me, was able to collect my card. Can't see the same trick working at an Identity Service interrogation centre though. Despite both types of card costing several hundred pounds.

No comments: