Monday, September 04, 2006

Pimp My Blog

Pimp My Ride!MTV is suing two UK stores, Pimp My Snack and Pimp My Pet, for "infringing" their trademarks on Pimp My Ride. Intellectual property lawyer Alex Papakyriacou comments:

For something to be a trademark infringement, it needs to be an identical or similar name used for identical or similar goods or services. No one would confuse Pimp My Snack with the television programme. This is an example of a larger company using its influence and lawyers to put its point across, and somebody who doesn't want a fight, or can't afford to, changes their name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ian, the link is bad.

Also, you say "somebody who doesn't want a fight, or can't afford to, changes their name."
Do you mean can't afford to risk losing? i.e. if you defend successfully, you can claim costs from the plaintiff?