Saturday, October 07, 2006

Mentally ill politician still authorised wiretaps

David Blunkett is staging his gradual return to politics with the publication of his diaries. He reveals that he was clinıcally depressed at one crucial period:

"My whole world was collapsing around me. I was under the most horrendous pressure. I was barely sleeping, and yet I was being asked to sign government warrants in the middle of the night. My physical and emotional health had cracked."

There could not be a clearer statement of why judges and not politicians should authorise wiretaps (which are permitted using the warrants that Blunkett mentions).

1 comment:

terri said...

Perhaps anyone on the receiving end of action 'by order of the home secretary' at that time should consider Judicial Review on the basis that he was not of sound mind!