- Information Feudalism by Peter Drahos and John Braithwaite: an extraordinary account of how a small cabal of multinational patent and copyright holders strongarmed the world into the TRIPS agreement.
- Collapse by Jared Diamond: will our societies continue to rape the planet, or change in time to save themselves from extinction?
- The Private Life of Chairman Mao by Zhisui Li: the most jaw-dropping demonstration imaginable that absolute power corrupts absolutely.
- Psychology by Henry Gleitman: a comprehensive introduction to the science essential for understanding human beings that is almost unknown outside universities and hospitals.
- The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs: a comprehensive explanation of how and why we should end extreme poverty by 2025.
Any other suggestions?